111th Medical Regiment perpetuates the history and records of the 111th
Sanitary Train of the World War 36th Division and earlier organizations of
medical department troops. All data in this history is from military
records and authentic historical documents of the State of Texas.
Hospital Corps, Texas National Guard, was first organized March 27, 1911.
It was mustered out of state service August 18, 1911, but was again
reorganized late in that year, serving on the Mexican border in 1913 under
call by the Governor. On October 1, 1913, the Hospital Corps was expanded
to form the Field Hospital. In 1916, this designation was changed to Field
Hospital No. 1, being called into Federal service for duty on the Mexican
border May 10, 1916. It was mustered into Federal service at Fort Sam
Houston, May 18, 1916; saw service at Harlingen, Brownsville, Point
Isabelle and Corpus Christi, Texas, and was mustered out March 24, 1917.
the United States entered the World War, Texas was authorized to raise the
following additional sanitary troops: one headquarters, two hospital and
two ambulance companies. Field Hospital No. 1 was reorganized and
redesignated Field Hospital Company No. 1. Field Hospital Company No. 2,
Ambulance Company No. 1 and Ambulance Company No. 2 were organized in July
1917. All four companies were mustered into Federal service August 5,
1917. These organizations upon draft, became a part of the 36th Division.
On October 1, 1917, the 36th Division was reorganized and the 111th
Sanitary Train was formed with the above named companies as the nucleus.
its organization and training at Camp Bowie, the train sailed for France
July 18, 1918, arriving July 31. Upon arrival, the train was detached from
the 36th Division and sent to Bordeaux in Brittany, where it was stationed
until ordered to rejoin the division at Bar-sur-Aube August 24, 1918. The
train moved on September 26 to the area between Epernay and Chalons,
division headquarters being established at Pocancy, Department of the
the other units of the division, it remained there for 10 days as a
reserve of the French Group of Armies of the Center, being attached to the
Fifth French Army for purposes of supply. On October 3, 1918, the 36th
Division was transferred to the Fourth French Army. The 111th Sanitary
Train participated in the Meuse-Argonne offensive (Champagne) October
7-29. Relief of the 36th Division began October 26 and was completed on
October 29. After assembling in the Suippes-Somme-Suippes area, the
division moved to the Triacourt area, establishing headquarters at Conde-en-Barrios.
111th Sanitary Train remained there as a unit of the First American Army
until the signing of the Armistice, then shortly afterwards moved to the
16th Training area around Tonnerre. The train returned to the United
States in two sections: the first sailing May 23, 1919, and arriving May
30, and the second sailing May 29 and arriving June 6, 1919. The train was
demobilized at Camp Bowie, June 16-19.
was granted in December, 1920, for the organization of the 111th Medical
Regiment, which was begun in 1922. The first unit, Ambulance Company No.
131, Henrietta, was Federally recognized December 20, 1922. The required
number of units to complete the peace time regiment was organized and
Federally recognized during 1923, 1924 and 1925. Regimental Headquarters,
with its Colonel, John J. O'Reilly, received Federal recognition July 23,
August, 1931, Service Company, Ambulance Company 131 and Hospital Company
131 were called by the Governor for duty at Kilgore.