56th Cavalry Brigade was reorganized and redesignated as such on August
the World War, Texas was requested by the War Department to organize two
cavalry brigades of three regiments each. One Brigade of Cavalry was
allocated to San Antonio and Southwest Texas. This was designated the
First Cavalry Brigade, being organized and commanded by Brigadier General
Jacob F. Wolters, and was presented for Federal Inspection on August 23,
1918. The three regiments of Cavalry composing the Brigade were the
Seventh Cavalry Regiment, commanded by Colonel Ben Lear, Jr.; Second
Cavalry Regiment, commanded by Colonel Fitzhugh Lee, and the Third Cavalry
Regiment, commanded by Colonel William G. Mead. Shortly after the
Armistice, all officers, non-commissioned officers and enlisted
specialists who were attending the Central Cavalry School for Officers at
Camp Stanley, Texas, were ordered home and placed on a State status.
August 23, 1919, the First Cavalry Brigade was reorganized and
redesignated as the 56th Cavalry Brigade, with one regiment and one
machine gun squadron in Texas, and one regiment in New Mexico. During
1929, the War Department authorized the organization of an additional
regiment in Texas, giving Texas a complete brigade by releasing the New
Mexico Regiment to the State of New Mexico as a separate regiment.
stated above, the Brigade was organized by Brigadier General Jacob F.
Wolters, who continued to command it until November 20, 1934, when he was
succeeded by Brigadier General Louis S. Davidson. General Davidson served
until August 20, 1938, being succeeded by the present Commander, Brigadier
General Walter B. Pyron. As a mark of appreciation, the State of Texas
breveted Brigadier General Wolters and Brigadier General Davidson to the
rank of Major General upon their retirement.
Headquarters of the 56th Cavalry Brigade is located at San Antonio, Texas.