Texas Military Forces
Hall of Honor
General Woodford H. Mabry was born in Jefferson, Texas, on 3 September
1856, the son of a distinguished Confederate officer, Colonel Hinche
Parham Mabry. He attended Virginia Military Institute before entering
the wholesale business. On 22 January 1891, he was appointed Adjutant
General of Texas with the rank of brigadier general, serving in that
position until 5 May 1898.
Among his many accomplishments as Adjutant General were raising the
Frontier Battalion of the Texas Rangers and the Texas Volunteer Guard to
a high standard of efficiency, service at the head of two companies of
Texas Rangers against the activities of a Mexican revolutionary named
Catarino Garza who was operating in Texas against the Mexican
government, and preventing mob violence in Woodville, Texas. One of his
most significant accomplishments was initiating and securing donations
for the purchase of a permanent camping ground for the Texas Volunteer
Guard in Austin. Together with the citizens of Austin he was successful
and in 1892 the camping ground was named Camp Mabry in his honor by a
vote of the companies of the Texas Volunteer Guard.
With the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, he resigned his post as
Adjutant General on 14 May 1898 and took command, as a colonel, of the
1st Texas Volunteer Infantry. General Mabry died of malaria at Camp
Columbia, near Havana, Cuba, on 4 January 1899.
The memory of this splendid citizen soldier lives today in the form of
the Headquarters of the Texas National Guard located at the post named
in his honor, Camp Mabry.
[ PREVIOUS | CONTENTS | NEXT ]
Contact the Texas Military